• About Ludowici

About Us

Untitled Document

 

Company History - 1858 to 1950

In 1858, just 70 years after the arrival of the British ‘First Fleet’ in Australia, a German migrant named Johann Carl Ludowici established a tannery in Sydney, Australia branded Ludowici & Company (Ludowici Limited). Ludowici Limited has long been well known throughout Australia and the world for its ‘pioneering’ products. From early beginnings, Ludowici’s ‘pioneer’ brand of leather industrial products established the company’s reputation for the manufacture and supply of the highest quality technical consumables. The early success of the business culminated in its listing on the Australian stock exchange in 1911. In the late 19th and early 20th century, Ludowici was the preferred supplier of leather belting for steam powered engines and was a key manufacturer of the leather suspension fitted to horse drawn stage coaches that traversed and settled the vast Australian continent in the late 1800’s. Ludowici first made its entrance into the seals industry in the early 20th century with the manufacture of leather cup packings using manufacturing skills attained through the manufacture of leather belting. The company was the first adopter of early iterations of inorganic elastomers from Germany and the USA such as butadiene and buna rubbers and introduced these elastomers to Australian industry in the 1940’s.

1950 to 1990

Ludowici Delivery Services 1950sDuring the 1950’s, the late Francis Ludowici, the father of the now current Chairman, Julian Ludowici, pioneered the introduction of Dupont products Teflon and Viton to Australia. Again in the early 1960’s, continuing its reputation for technical innovation, the company was the first to introduce and manufacture polyurethane industrial products.Over the latter part of the twentieth century, the company had successfully modernised and shifted its core business from its early beginnings in leather to leverage new technological developments in sealing solutions, industrial rubber and industrial plastics. The company, with few direct competitors in its markets, operated for over 100 years as the premier force for elastomeric consumable products and garnered a peerless reputation for quality, innovation and technical expertise.

 

1990 to 2015

Between the late 1990’s and 2010, through several key acquisitions, the company grew as a world leader in the manufacture of minerals processing equipment in both the bulk commodities and minerals/metals markets. By 2012 Ludowici had operations in every major mining market in the world with manufacturing plants in China, India and the USA as well as offices and service centres in South America and South Africa. Ludowici had developed a premier reputation in the minerals processing equipment market and was the preferred brand for Chinese coal miners. At its peak in 2011, Ludowici branded equipment was processing (washing) over half the washed coal tonnage in China of around 1B tonnes. In 2012, Ludowici Limited was acquired by FLSmidth of Copenhagen, Denmark who desired the Ludowici mining-related business stream which was supported by market leading sales and numerous patented machines.

Ludowici Sealing Solutions and the Ludowici brand was sold by FLSmidth back to the Ludowici family in 2013. Sealing solutions and industrial rubber products resurfaced as the core businesses of the Ludowici Group.

2015 to Present


In September 2015 Freudenberg Sealing Technologies (FST) acquired Ludowici Sealing Solutions, further enlarging FST's global operational network.  As the leading specialist in sealing applications and their market, Freudenberg Sealing Technologies is a supplier as well as a development and service partner serving customers in a wide variety of industries, including the automotive industry, civil aviation, mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, the food and pharmaceutical industries, and the agricultural and construction machinery industries.